BIM and VDC
Building Information Modeling (BIM) is the well-known process of creating 3D models of projects and capturing specifications for each piece of material used in those projects. BIM helps define dimensions and spatial relationships, avoid interference, assure clearance, develop material takeoffs, etc.
Virtual Design & Construction (VDC) is a computer simulation that takes the static BIM information and animates it with scheduling and progress details typically found in thousands of lines of a Gantt project schedule. VDC also integrates construction process details to provide a complete picture of the construction process. The combination of BIM and VDC enables all project stakeholders to see the project being built, virtually, and to review and optimize it.
At MEP Services, we use BIM and VDC to optimize project delivery for our clients.
BIM and VDC allows us to review every step of a project in detail including:
- Visualization of all construction details
- Confirmation of site logistics and safety plans
- Improvement of trade contractor scheduling and detecting conflicts
- Assessment/improvement of constructability
- Optimization of overall scheduling
- Reducing errors and rework
Most importantly, using advanced BIM and VDC techniques such as 4D and 5D allows us to more effectively communicate with all parties to improve project quality and satisfaction:
- 2D – A flat representation of lines, symbols and text
- 3D – A 3-dimentional representation/visualization
- 4D – The addition of time to the 3D visualization
- 5D – Adds cost and other project management features to 4D